Bachelor of Engineering, Information and Communications Technology
Haluatko opiskella ICT-alan insinööriksi kansainvälisessä ja monikulttuurisessa ympäristössä? Information and Communications Technology -koulutuksesta valmistut insinööriksi (AMK) ja saat valmiudet työskennellä ICT-alan ammattilaisena niin Suomessa kuin ulkomailla.
Information and Communications Technology (ICT) deals with technologies, methods and tools such as software applications, data networks and cybersecurity, games and hi-tech electronic devices and systems. This programme offers you versatile opportunities as a future ICT professional. The extent of the Bachelor of Engineering degree programme is 240 ECTS credits and the planned duration of the studies is four years.
An ICT engineering graduate has wide and practically-oriented fundamental knowledge and skills. After graduation, you are able to follow and contribute to the development of your field. Your studies will strengthen your capabilities to promote life-long learning, your language and communication skills, and prepare you for working in international environment. Typical positions of an ICT engineering graduates include Cyber Security Specialist, Game Developer, Hardware Engineer, IT Specialist, Project Engineer, Software Designer, System Administrator, UX Designer and many others.
The curriculum consists of basic, professional and optional studies as well as practical training and a Bachelor’s thesis project.
Basic studies contain fundamentals of science and ICT, language and communication courses and coaching in study skills. Basic studies take place during the first and second study year, and they guide you into the topics of your future professional field. Professional studies focus mainly on more advanced topics in our ICT competence tracks and their applications, as well as business and entrepreneurship topics. Professional studies start in the second year and continue to the second last semester.
The focus areas of the degree programme are Data Engineering and AI, Data Networks and Cybersecurity, Embedded Software and Internet of Things (IoT), Game and Interactive Technologies, Health Technology as well as Software Engineering and Project Management. You will select one of these areas as your competence track.
- Data Engineering and AI studies concentrate on designing data models, automating data pipelines, and working with massive datasets. AI is accomplished by studying the patterns of the human brain and by analyzing the cognitive process. The outcome of these studies develops intelligent software and systems. Graduates work with people in roles like data warehouse engineer, data platform engineer, data infrastructure engineer, analytics engineer, data architect, and devops engineer. A devops engineer must have skills that span both development and operations.
- Data Networks and Cybersecurity studies focus on securing the ICT infrastructure. Cybersecurity topics are covered widely, including both risk management and technical cybersecurity. The students will also encounter topics such as designing, operating and managing various wired and wireless network configurations. Graduates will find employment, for example, as cybersecurity specialists in ICT companies and ICT functions in various industries.
- Embedded Software and IoT focuses on design and implementation of network-connected microcontroller systems such as fitness devices, mobile phones, robots, and future vehicles. The studies include both hardware and software design in wired and wireless environments. Graduated students are typically employed in product development tasks in industry.
- An engineer specialized in Game and Interactive Technologies can create technology and art interfaces ranging from playful user interface design and gamification to high-end entertainment games. The graduates can develop game applications using state-of-the-art platforms, and efficiently work as members of a game production team or other teams that employ game technology expertise in their product portfolio.
- Health Technology studies combine competence in ICT and the healthcare sector. The studies include user-oriented design, product development for medical devices, healthcare industry know-how and information system design. The application areas include e.g., personal care aids and health care information systems. Graduates work in product development and expert positions for both the private and public sectors.
- Software Engineering and Project Management studies concentrate on mobile and web development as well as on project management and the software industry. The majority of the studies are completed as project work in the learning environment called theFIRMA or in local software companies. In addition to technical knowledge, the studies also cover project productization and project management aspects. After graduation, possible work titles can be software engineer and project manager. Some graduates run their own business.
The studies typically contain several real-life research and development projects that are implemented together with local companies. By studying with us, you will participate in a lot of teamwork, laboratory work, and project work. We value problem-based learning, and incorporate our students in hands-on projects from the beginning (e.g. Capstone Innovation Project. ) The learning process is supported by lectures, laboratory exercises, virtual courses, seminar presentations, and individual tutoring.
Apply in Joint Application
Joint application means that you can apply to up to six study programmes with one application form. These six options may include degree programmes from one or several different higher education institutions in Finland. The next joint application period for this degree programme is
- joint application in spring 4 - 18 January 2023 at 15.00 (studies start in autumn 2023)
Applications are submitted through the national online application portal studyinfo.fi (in Finnish Opintopolku). The students are selected based on school performance, SAT test or international University of Applied Sciences (UAS) exam. Selection methods are explained in more detail on the Admission Criteria page (tuas.fi).
Apply to Path Studies (Open UAS)
In path studies, you complete the first-year studies of a Bachelor’s degree in a group of degree students in an academic year. The extent of UAS path studies is about 60 ECTS credits. Open Studies are subject to a charge.
A degree cannot be completed in path studies. After the path studies, based on the success in studies and the number of completed credits, you can apply as a degree student in the Open Studies path application and continue your studies seamlessly until graduation.
Next application period for path studies is
- application period in summer 2023 (studies start in autumn 2023)
Link to Studyinfo opens in spring 2023.